I’ve started the work of finishing off the starboard saloon settee. I had retrieved all the foam I’d bought new 13 years ago, which I’d kept safely in storage. With the v-berth foam ready to cover, I decided to first finish the saloon, which already has a completed bunk cushion on the port side.

I took the starboard foam and fitted it in place. The foam piece had already been cut to shape from when I’d originally worked on the project in mid-2004. I only needed to trim it in a few places to make the fit work.

final fitting for the foam

final fitting for the foam

With that done I needed to prepare the settee area for painting. I removed all the necessary ceiling slats and set them aside. I used a strong solution of TSP cleaner to remove years of dirt, then scraped off and vacuumed away all the loose paint. It was such a huge task to clean the hull area that I tackled it in sections, with one section each day. As each of the surfaces were clean and dry, I applied two coats of the Petit EZ-Cabin Coat paint.

the cleaning and scraping to prep a section from dirty to clean

I did one section at a time

I did one section at a time

the forward painted area the area painted

I also did some touchups where needed.

some touchups around the panel

some touchups around the panel

With the area fully painted, I reinstalled the ceiling slats.

the forward settee area is finished the aft settee area is finished

The settee is now ready for the upholstered bunk cushion.