Now that all the bunk boards are painted and back in place, I need to finish up the bulkheads under the v-berth. I haven’t done anything with these since January 2010. I had left the port-side bulkhead in one piece, without an opening, at that time.
The intake valve for the toilet is located under that port-side bunk board. If I don’t cut an opening in the bulkhead, the only way to get to the valve would be to lift up the bunk cushion and bunk board, which would be very awkward. I decided I needed to cut an opening in the panel, but wasn’t sure of the size it needed to be, and thought I could just make an opening large enough to reach in to the valve.
Then I looked at archived pictures of that cabin and found that there had been an opening exactly like the starboard bulkhead side that included a shelf within it, which is how the starboard side has been left. I searched for pictures of evidence of the shelf itself, and found one from July 2002. I’d tucked it behind the port-side ceiling slats as I was pulling out rotted bulkheads in there.
I’ve searched everywhere for that shelf, and have finally accepted that I threw it out, or someone else threw it out. I’ve removed both bulkheads and have made a cardboard template for a new shelf under that port-side bunk.
I’ll cut out a new shelf, then an opening in the bulkhead to match the starboard side opening, fit it all in, and finish it all with coats of paint.