I’ve resurrected the hand grab rails for the forward cabin and have begun the reinstallation of them. These rails serve to offer handholds in rough seas given that there are no overhand rails as you would find in larger, more modern boats. Once again I’ve had to research past posts and images to try and recall what had been done to this time.

This is the only picture I could find that shows an original forward cabin grab rail. This one is under the original single opening portlight over the toilet. It’s not a lot to go on.

the grab rail above the single original opening port

the grab rail above the single original opening port

With only one opening port original to this boat I’d had the three fixed ports removed and all four replaced with new opening ports in December 2002. At that time I had a really amazing shipwright working on the boat. Before the grab rail mods were finished this man left the yard to work elsewhere. He left the task to another person who didn’t have the same skills. Nothing moved forward after that and the rails disappeared. I was finally able to retrieve all the rails from this alternate worker a few years later. They’ve been in storage ever since.

I’ve collected all the grab rails that needed to be modified and installed for the new opening ports. I had great success with the starboard-side hanging locker grab rail, which had been successfully modified to fit the portlight and was ready to install.

the rail with the port open with the port closed

It needs only to have plugs put in.

Unfortunately this wasn’t the case with the other rails. Forward of this locker, inside the forward cabin, the opening port is a round one. The grab rail has been modified, but it still needed a cut for the bottom of the portlight. I marked it and made this cut with a manual scroll saw.

the round cut I made and the saw I used

the round cut I made and the saw I used

After making this cut, I found that the rail fits in reasonably well under the portlight.

the forward-most starboard portlight open the forward-most starboard portlight closed

It doesn’t fit tightly at the ends, which I can overlook. What I’m struggling with are marks in the teak made with pen that I can’t easily erase.

the pen marks in the teak

the pen marks in the teak

I’m not sure how I’ll get the pen marks out. They’re not marks that score the teak, but I tried mineral spirits and had no success with removing them.

I still have to sand the new cut before I attach this rail permanently. This would complete the rails on the starboard side.

What I have for the port side is a long section of grab rail that had fit in before the new bulkhead was installed to isolate the head from that cabin space. The first picture here shows that rail. I have to do some measuring and cutting but