Unfortunately, the solution I’d come up with in August 2015 for covering the mast pipe wiring has failed. Over the course of this very wet season I’ve had a pretty consistent leak below from that hose.

the hose that failed over the winter/spring season

the hose that failed over the winter/spring season

I couldn’t figure out why this was happening. I caulked it and tightened the screws, but still it leaked. Then the other day I was checking it again and suddenly found that the hose itself had badly cracked.

the light bilge hose has tons of cracks

the light bilge hose has tons of cracks

It hadn’t occurred to me that this light bilge hose would be affected by the weather. As a temporary fix until warmer weather hits I wrapped the hose with duct tape. But that didn’t work, and water was still dripping down into the cabin.

the white bilge hose wrapped in duct tape

the white bilge hose wrapped in duct tape

I searched around for something on hand that I could use, and that might be a bit sturdier. I found a scrap of heavier 1-inch ID bilge hose and decided to give that a try. It’s a little big for the pipe, which would probably do better with 7/8-inch ID, but I clamped it tightly after applying some sealant, and hoped for the best.

trying out heavier bilge hose clamped and sealed

I installed that yesterday and since then we’ve had another .35 inches of rainfall. All is dry below so, for now, this is working.